Trump said on Sunday that he had ordered the Pentagon to curtail the annual Ulchi Freedom Shield exercises, a day before they got underway. He cited his good relationship with Democratic People’s Republic of Korea (DPRK) leader Kim Jong Un and said the manoeuvres, designed to prepare for a possible attack by Pyongyang, were hostile towards a country that had been respectful to him.
DPRK state media criticised the drills on Wednesday as a “most immediate and open threat”, without mentioning Trump’s order.
Hours later, Seoul’s military said the drills would wrap up on Friday, not on August 27 as originally planned.
“We have decided to adjust the UFS exercise period to run from the 17th to the 21st,” South Korea’s Joint Chiefs of Staff said in a statement.
The DPRK has long voiced outrage at the exercises, considering them dress rehearsals for an invasion.
The commentary by the state-run Korean Central News Agency repeated that position, saying the “drill poses the most immediate and open threat”. It did not mention Trump’s order or his desire to resume talks with Kim, with whom he hinted at being in contact.
Seoul’s presidential office had said on Tuesday the drills did not reflect “any intention to attack North Korea or escalate tensions on the Korean peninsula”.
Trump has insisted that he is making the situation “much safer” through his ties with Kim. The pair met three times in his first spell in the White House, but they have not held talks during his second term.
The US leader has also pushed aides to arrange an in-person meeting with Kim as soon as this autumn, the Wall Street Journal reported, citing US officials.
Uncertainty over the joint military drills comes as Foreign Minister Wang Yi visits South Korea on Wednesday and Thursday for talks expected to cover developments on the Korean Peninsula and regional security issues. (Agencies)






